Every parent is beaming with pride.
As I watch my kids get older, I wanted to give them some advice on how to be a better version of themselves.
1. Be fearless. Don't spend your life in fear of the unknown. You should not be afraid of the unknown. You should embrace the unknown as new adventures in your life.
2. Be strong. Be strong in spirit, body and mind. I not saying I want you to be pumping iron and do 100 push ups a day, but to be strong in everything you do. To be strong in mind and spirit and don't give up on anything you try and to persevere through the difficult things in your life.
3. Be funny. You have to be able to laugh at yourself and with others. Having a sense of humor is so important because it will help you handle the stresses of everyday life.
4. Be careful. Be careful with your things, and your feelings. Take good care of your stuff because no one else will. Be careful with your feelings because they will get hurt very easily and a broken heart or a crushed spirit are the hardest things to fix.
5. Be smart. Studying hard at school is important. No matter what happens, getting a good education will serve you well in the future. Smart is sexy and it is never out of style. Nerds rule the world and they always will.
6. Be choosy. Choose your friends carefully. Who you choose to associate yourself with is a reflection on who you are and how you will be influenced. Be very choosy when picking a mate. Don't just sleep around with everyone, make sure you pick the right mate because they will be a HUGE part of your life and they can either make your life easier or much much harder.
7. Be yourself. Everyone is different and unique. Don't follow and try to be like everyone else. We are all unique and we should celebrate just how unique we truly are. All our differences make us who we are. There is only one of you in the world, you should celebrate this fact.
9. Be connected. The world is a big place. There are billions of people in thousands of countries around the world. Find your tribe and stay connected to your tribe. Being connected on a real level with just one other person in the world can be enough to keep you sane and normal.
10. Don't be a quitter. This last one is important because to do everything else on this list you will have to work at it. Nothing comes easy and will require hours of work and dedication. Remember that when you want to stop something because it is too hard, that is when you must push harder and work harder. Quitting will never get you where you want to be. Quitting should never be the answer to anything you do. Quitting is not an option if you want to be successful.
If you liked what you read, follow me on Facebook and Twitter.